Governors Office State Vehicle Policy
Policy and Procedures Regarding State of Illinois Vehicles
All employees operating a State-owned vehicle agree to operate the vehicle according to the following guidelines. Failure to adhere to these guidelines may result in revocation of an employee’s privilege to operate State vehicles and/or in disciplinary action, up to and including termination.
- Employee must maintain a valid driver’s license for the type of State vehicle that the employee is operating and notify the Director of Human Resources immediately if the employee’s license is no longer valid.
- Employee will notify the Chicago or Springfield Vehicle Coordinator of any citations received while operating a State-owned vehicle.
- Employee is financially responsible for any parking or traffic violations received while operating a State-owned vehicle.
- Employee must follow generally accepted safe driving practices and obey all traffic laws.
- Employee must ensure that all occupants of a State-owned vehicle are properly wearing safety belts while in the vehicle.
- The vehicle may only be used for official State business, as well as reasonable de minimis personal business in the furtherance of official State business (e.g., stopping for meals on the way to or from official State business). The vehicle may never be used for, or for transporting any person to do, any prohibited political activity.
- Employee must not operate the vehicle in such a manner that will expose the State to excessive liability or risk.
- Employee must report all accidents within 12 hours of occurrence to the employee’s supervisor and the Chicago or Springfield Vehicle Coordinator
- Individuals who are not employees are not allowed to operate State-owned vehicles.
- No hitchhikers are allowed in State-owned vehicles.
- The use of alcohol and controlled substances prior to and during operation of any State-owned vehicle is prohibited.
- Employees will be required to pay for any damage to State-owned vehicles resulting from negligence or carelessness.
Requesting and Returning a State Vehicle
In the event that a car is available for use, the following steps need to be completed:
- Complete and sign the Government Vehicle Agreement form via the online portal
- Each employee has their own specific pin number that is not meant for anyone else to use and should be used for each State credit card.
- ALL receipts acquired during the trip using the government credit card need to be turned in when returning the keys.
- Complete the log inside the vehicle at the beginning and end of each trip.
- Vehicles must be picked up from and returned to the same location unless other arrangements have been made.
- Employee must ensure that all personal belongings and trash are removed from the vehicle, leaving it clean for the next user.
- Employee must return keys to GO Administrative Assistants or Vehicle Coordinators once the trip is complete.